C for Coimbatore






Coimbatore is a city in the state of Tamil Nadu in South India. I was there with my family in the year 1997 and it was the month of March.We were there only for a couple of days and frankly I don't really remember anything about the city. 


Deta (my father) was one of the two professors-in-charge of the students' excursion trip and it was almost a month-long tour to south India. Our group consisted of more than 60 people consisting of students, our family of four, another professor-in-charge and a couple of helpers. We had booked an entire railway bogie, which was attached just behind the engine or at the last of different trains. It was great fun and the bogie became our home for almost a month.

We halted in Coimbatore for a couple of days and made it a base and visited Ooty and Mysore from there. I remember the first night we spent there. We had reached the city in the evening and did not find any place to spend the night. We got a big hall in some hotel/guest house and everybody tried to sleep on the bare floors. There was no electricity and there were lots of mosquitoes. It was very warm and we ended up spending most of the night up on the terrace. I remember listening to the students' chatter and gazing up at the stars.






Each day of the time we were there, we went to one small restaurant and had biriyani and curd for lunch. For dinner we went to other places. After dinner one time Deta taught us that after finishing our meal we are supposed to keep our spoon and fork face down on the plate. That by keeping them face down we indicate that we are done with our dinner and do not want further servings.

I hope that someday I would be in Coimbatore again and then I would explore the city as it deserves to be and remember everything I see and experience.

I am taking part in the Blogging From A to Z Challenge [April 2014].

Labels: , , ,